UPDATED SCHEDULE FOR THURS JUNE 21
posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:05 PM
Our spring High Test Day will take place on Thursday June 21 from 6:50-8:00pm. The test day schedule will be posted shortly. In the meantime the STARSkate sessions will be changed as follows:
5:00 - 6:00 pm SS A (regularly scheduled)
5:00 - 5:15 pm SSA FreeSkate Group 1
5:15 - 5:30 pm SSA Dance/Skills Group 1
5:30 - 5:45 pm SSA Dance/Skills Group 2
5:45 - 6:00 pm SSA FreeSkate Group 2
6:00 - 6:40 pm SS B/C
6:00 - 6:15 pm SS B FreeSkate Group (optional participation)
6:15 - 6:30 pm SS B Dance/Skills Group (optional participation)
6:40 - 6:50 pm Flood
6:50 - 8:00 pm Test Day (schedule to be posted shortly)
SUMMER STARSKATE OPEN ICE
posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:40 PM
Our summer season at WTSC runs from July 3 to August 23 and we are excited that it will be more flexible than ever for our STARSkaters!
We will offer open ice to STARSkaters from 6:00 to 8:00pm every Tuesday and Thursday through the summer. STARSkaters wishing to skate on open ice may purchase a FlexPack consisting of 4 one-hour tickets to be used on any session during the summer. The FlexPack costs $80 ($20 per ticket) and each ticket may be used for a one-hour skate starting at any time during the open ice session. Any extra time beyond the one hour will require the skater to pay $10 at the office. STARSkaters may come for all or part of an open ice session and there is no longer any need to register for the entire month.
There will be a maximum of 20 skaters on each open ice session (first come first served) and skaters are encouraged to be especially mindful of our updated right of way protocol (see Skaters’ Etiquette below) to safely share the ice with all levels of STARSkaters.
Skaters without FlexPack tickets will be charged a guest skating fee of $25 per hour (or part thereof), so skaters are encouraged to take advantage of the FlexPack option which may be purchased online here. Skaters wishing to participate in our summer test day (tentatively August 23) will need to purchase 2 FlexPacks in order to be eligible.
Any questions regarding the summer FlexPacks may be directed to our Treasurer Yi-Wen Hsu at email@example.com. Happy summer skating!!
Skater's Etiquette (Revised April 2018)
1. Courtesy: Courtesy is first and foremost. It is essential to respect the rights of other skaters and be aware of who is around you at all times. If you are skating with skaters of significantly greater or lesser skills, be especially careful to avoid collisions. If you get in another skater’s way, please be polite and apologize.
2. Right of Way: First priority is given to skaters who are skating to their solo or dance music. Second priority is given to skaters in a private lesson. Give these skaters the right of way at all times. Skaters with the right of way must also remember to keep an alert eye open to avoid collisions and may respectfully remind others of right of way (e.g. “excuse me”).
3. Spins should be performed at the centre of the ice surface, and jumps should be at the ends and in the corners.
4. Do not spend most of your time in the corners. Skaters who are practicing the Lutz may not see you as they enter their jump.
5. If you fall down, get up as quickly as possible. If someone falls and does not get up on their own, do not move them. Get a coach to assess the injured skater. In the meantime, have someone stand “guard” over them to make sure other skaters avoid collisions with them.
6. When you are practicing elements like camel spins and back spirals be especially aware of the danger your exposed blade poses to other skaters. Take a good look at your expected "space" before you start the element, and do not proceed with the element if it looks like you could cause a problem.
7. Don’t stand around on the ice to “chitchat”. You interfere with and/or present a hazard to other skaters, and you are wasting your practice time and money. Skaters are expected to be skating at all times while on the ice.
8. No food, gum or drinks on the ice surface (only water at the boards is allowed but no glass bottles).
9. No kicking holes in the ice.
10. No wearing earbuds/headphones on the ice.
A SUCCESSFUL STARSKATE GALA!
posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:34 PM
We were thrilled to host our 5th annual STARSkate Gala last week. We have uploaded pictures which can be found under the STARSkate -> STARSkate Gala tab. Congratulations to all our skaters, we are so proud of all that you have accomplished this season!